Public Interest Groups
- Benton Foundation's Communications Policy Project - Promotes public interest values and noncommercial services for the National Information Infrasrtucture through research, policy analysis, video, and online publishing, and outreach to nonprofits and foundations.
- Center for Democracy and Technology - The Center For Democracy and Technology is a non-profit public interest organization based in Washington DC. The Center's mission is to develop and advocate public policies that advance constitutional civil liberties and democratic values in new computer and communications technologies.
- Center on Disabilities - At California State University, Northridge.
- Community Career Center - An on-line gathering place where not-for-profit employers and management personnel can meet one another. Computers, Freedom and Privacy Video Library Educational videos and resources about human liberties and freedoms in the information age.
- Contact Center Network - A non-partisan, nonprofit organization whose aim is to create and support a network of community-based centers that will link, serve, and strengthen individuals and organizations working to build a better world.
- Corporate Watch - Dedicated to keeping an eye on transnational corporations
- Dataveillance - Roger Clarke - A page dedicated to data or information privacy-- the interest an individual has in controlling, or at least significantly influencing, the handling of data concerning him or herself. Democracy Works An online guide to the work of individuals and organizations promoting greater understanding and tolerance in America and heightened awareness of threats to freedom of expression and civil liberties.
- EFF - The Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- EPIC - The Electronic Privacy Information Center.
- FAIR -- Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting - A national media watch group offering well-documented criticism in an effort to correct media bias and imbalance.
- Free Software Foundation - A group started by Richard Stallman to embody his ideas of personal freedom and how software should be produced.
- Fund for Constitutional Government - The Fund for Constitutional Government is a publicly supported, charitable, nonprofit corporation established in 1974 to expose and correct corruption in the federal government and other major national institutions through research and public education.
- Global Internet Liberty Campaign - CPSR belongs to this group dedicated to working together to protect freedom of speech and the right of privacy.
- HandsNet - handsnet -The national network of the human services community.
- The Idealist - 14,000 organizations in 125 countries list information on services, volunteer opportunities, internships, job openings, upcoming events, and any material or publication it has produced. Produced by Action Without Borders, a nonprofit organization that promotes the sharing of ideas, information and resources to help build a world where all people can ve free, dignified and productive lives.
- Impact Online - A nonprofit corporation headquarted in Palo Alto, California whose mission is to facilitate and increase community involvement via the internet.
- Institute for Economic Democracy - Provides sustainable development research without charge to Third World educational institutions, and publishes cutting edge research cooperatively with professors and intellectuals worldwide.
- IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology (SSIT) - From the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- IGC - The Institute for Global Communications facilitates issues such as environmental protection, human rights, social and economic justice, sustainable and equitable development, health, and much more.
- International Programmers Guild (IPG) - IPG represents professional programmers globally. Services for members include: certification, job and contract referral, fellowship and networking etc. e-mail: ipg(a)ipgnet.com
- Internet Privacy Coalition - "Promoting privacy and security on the Internet through public availability of encryption and relaxation of export controls on cryptography"
- Internet Society Home Page - The Internet Society is the non-governmental International Organization for global cooperation and coordination for the Internet and its internetworking technologies and applications.
- LaborNet-IGC - Computer communications, news, information and resources for a democratic labor movement.
- League for Programming Freedom - The League for Programming Freedom is an organization that opposes software patents and user interface copyrights.
- Loka Institute - A public affairs research and advocacy organization concerned with the social, political, and environmental repercussions of science and technology.
- Media Watch Home Page - A collection of online media watch resources, including specific media criticism articles and information about media watch groups.
- MOLIS - The Minority On-line Information Service.
- National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture - AMAC's Online Support Center (www.namac.org) provides a central place on the World Wide Web where media arts organizations and media makers can connect with and support each other, locate profiles of the nation's major media arts groups, find current news and useful resources, share experiences and insights, and participate together in shaping the future of the media arts field.
- National Public Telecomputing Network - NPTN is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop and support community computer systems, often called Free-Nets(R), throughout the U.S. and the world.
- NetAction Dedicated to promoting effective grassroots citizen action campaigns.
- PRIVACY Forum - The Internet PRIVACY Forum is a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Privacy International - Privacy International was formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance by governments and corporations.
- Project on The Ethical, Legal and Technological Aspects of Computer Network Use and Abuse - A virtual report from the Directorate for Science and Policy Programs American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Propaganda Analysis Home Page In 1937, the Institute for Propaganda Analysis was created to educate the American public about the widespread nature of political propaganda.
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free legal help to reporters and news organizations. It is a rich source for FOIA information.
- Science for Peace - Science for Peace is a Canadian organization whose objectives are research and education for peace in the broadest sense.
- Security On Campus, Inc - A non-profit organization geared specifically and exclusively to the prevention of campus violence and crimes and to assisting campus victims in the enforcement of their legal rights.
- Society and the Future of Computing - The 1995 and 1996 conferences on Society and the Future of Computing.
- Voters Telecommunications Watch - A volunteer organization, concentrating on legislation as it relates to telecommunications and civil liberties.
- World Computer Exchange - An educational nonprofit working to bridge the digital divide by keeping used - but still working - computers out of landfills and reusing them to connect students to the Internet in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- World Institute on Disability - An international public policy center dedicated to carrying out cutting-edge research on disability issues and overcoming obstacles to independent living.
Created by admin
Last modified November 24, 2004 11:12 AM
Last modified November 24, 2004 11:12 AM